Million Dollar Customization Transformation
4104 Howell Road, Malvern PA
Estate plan created by collaboration between Period Architecture, Rittenhouse Builders
and Wallace Landscaping. Featured in 2017 and 2018 Philadelphia Design Guide
Phase I – $400,000 Lower Level and Center Hall Transformation
A Perfect Space for Entertaining and Family Fun!
Completed in Fall 2014, the lower level renovation created an open, contemporary space with multiple natural light sources and outside access onto private patio and seating areas. The design intent was to provide as much natural light as possible.
You enter the space by descending an open floating stairway with custom treads reclaimed from Chester County barns that integrates the ground floor with the lower level. The Lower Level is finished with large windows, an open floor plan and curved walls to deliver the ultimate entertainment zone with your own wine cellar, a professionally designed bar, wine tasting area, lounge area with fireplace, media room, and recreation room.
- Custom restaurant class floating glass bar with selectable color LED lighting imported from
ThinkGlass in Quebec, leathered granite counters, a touch activated bar faucet and dimmable
overhead lighting by Paul Mihranian, Lighting by Design.
- Floating bar shelves reclaimed from Chester County barns, accented with dimmable LED
lighting and glass tile from Alys Edward’s “Kiss My Big Fat Glass” collection.
- Custom cabinets and storage designed by Christiana Cabinetry in Lancaster, Mahogany finished
with high gloss “automotive grade” surfaces in bar area. Separate pantry provides convenient
storage for bar and entertaining supplies.
- Commercial grade Scotsman Ice Systems icemaker, produces distinctive “top hat” clear cubes
ideal for cocktails; built in dishwasher selected for quality of glassware cleaning, configurable
racking with LED lighting; GE Monogram refrigerator with convertible lower drawers ideal for
additional wine or frozen storage. All appliances were selected to facilitate entertaining.
- 1,080 bottle contemporary wine cellar with commercial grade temperature and humidity control;
imported stainless steel racking system displays bottle labels as art. Room design allows for
additional future expansion.
- Remote controllable ribbon fireplace surrounded by floor to ceiling imported Italian granite
highlights lounge area.
- Custom curved bathroom door and wall draw entrants toward the main entertaining areas. Ten
separately controlled and dimmable lighting zones and four separately controllable audio zones
- Concealed custom doors hide access to electrical, mechanical and storage areas. Size and
location of storage makes the space easy to use and maintain, built in cabinetry provides
significant display and hidden storage options
Watch John Hewitt explain the process:
Phase II – $375,000 Exterior Upgrade and Refinish – One of a Kind of Mid-century
Chester County Farmhouse Transformation
Benefit from a Lovingly Created Gorgeous & Distinctive Exterior with Highly
Durable Materials & Finishes that Reduce Maintenance Costs!
Completed in Fall 2015, the exterior renovation team used a number of design elements to replicate a mid-century Chester County farmhouse. Every detail was addressed, from hand laid stone surfaces, to copper guttering and period appropriate windows, to switched, holiday outlets in the eaves creating a unique custom experience. The quality of workmanship and attention to detail exceeds most of what you will find on the Main Line.
- Hand Stacked stone on front, sides and chimney was sourced in Chester County, custom mixed and hand laid by Chester County stone masons. The color profile is now known as the “Howell Blend” and has been applied to several other Main Line homes.
- Custom built front entryway including 2 ¼” 6-panel hand crafted Mahogany door with matching sidelights and true divided lights, transom, columns and entablature created by Steve Hendricks at Historic Doors. Pella Architect series windows with divided light grilles, insulated dual low-e advanced glass with argon, Vivid View screens, and customized hardware. Custom mudroom Dutch door crafted by Historic Doors.
- EcoStar synthetic slate roof created from recycled tires with a 50-year warranty, copper valleys and flashings, Azek crown molding and exterior trim, Timberland Endurian shutters with copper capping and custom hardware.
- Hand crafted on site copper chimney shroud and roofing on front entry entablature, 6” front gutters and 4” downspouts, custom letter boxes, and custom rear guttering.
- Period appropriate exterior lights designed by Paul Mihranian at Lighting by Design and hand crafted in the USA. Lights are individually controllable by smartphone or tablet.
- Custom Artisan carriage garage doors, with upgraded Liftmaster ¾ hp chain drive openers, industrial grade floor surfacing, storage systems, and light fixtures. Façade and roof extension to align sight lines with period norms. TimberTech deck surfaces, custom stainless railing and wire guard rails.
Phase III – $125,000 Custom Designed Hardscape & Landscape
Multiple Private Outdoor Living Spaces Increase the Ways You Will Enjoy Your
Front, side and back landscaping was completed in two phases, custom designed and installed by Wallace Landscape architects (http://wallacelandscape.com). The Wallace architects focused on creating an outdoor oasis that seamlessly blended into the surrounding forest. Where possible, materials were sourced from the property and designed to optimize appearance and maintenance.
- Patio, entryway and walkway surfaces include Pennsylvania bluestone locally quarried, and accent boulders sourced from the property.
- Outdoor kitchen space and dining space off main floor kitchen.
- Avex deck surfaces will deliver maintenance free enjoyment for years to come; “seamless” stainless deck railing smooths the transition from indoors to outdoors.
- Custom designed FX Luminaire exterior lighting system, with individual lights, scenes and zones controllable with a smartphone or tablet.
- Tree planting and forest floor maintenance designed to improve tree health and views. Beds were designed to be low-maintenance and weather and deer resistant while smoothing transition into forest zone.
Phase IV – $100,000+ Systems Upgrade and Interior Renewal
Move in Ready with Years of Future Efficient Use!
Most of the home systems and infrastructure were replaced during the last four years. Upgrades focused on improving energy efficiency and home automation to minimize maintenance while travelling.
- Four Zone Hi Efficiency Bryant Evolution HVAC, combined with LED lighting reduced energy costs by 50%
- GENRAC 20Kw auto-switching “whole home” generator seamlessly covers all critical home systems
- Rheem 75-gallon Professional Classic water heater installed in 2017
- Zoeller sump pump unit, battery and monitoring system installed in 2017
- Miele Dimension Plus dishwasher
- GE Monogram oven, Viking oven and microwave
- LG washer and dryer
- Complete interior and exterior painting within the last 2 years
- All new light fixtures since 2012
- New Kohler Sterling Kitchen Sink late 2017
- 6 New Pella Windows in the rear of home in late 2017
- All carpet replaced within the last 2 years
- Wood floors resurfaced and stained in 2015
Smart Home features make vacationing and travel stress free. Home systems can
be monitored and controlled from anywhere with a smartphone or tablet.
Classic Look Combined with Hi Tech Convenience!
While it is tempting not to leave this oasis, the owners wanted to be able to monitor and control vital systems from anywhere in the world. In addition, automation was selected with entertaining in mind.
- Alarm system includes cellular connection to monitoring station, Connect2Go smartphone or tablet monitoring and control, and WaterBug moisture sensors on all water sources in the home.
- Bryant Evolution HVAC system can be monitored and controlled from anywhere with a smartphone or tablet.
- Belkin WeMo switches on all external lights, including holiday receptacles installed in eaves, provide ability to monitor and control from anywhere with a smartphone or tablet
- Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on all floors and bedrooms provide ability to monitor and control from anywhere with a smartphone or tablet.
- Ethernet and cable wiring available in most rooms fed from a centralized data cabinet, Verizon FIOS fiber optic data connection.
- In-ceiling speakers installed in major entertaining areas, designed for a multi-zone audio system; currently using Sonos amplifiers controllable by guests with a smartphone or tablet.
- Generac 20Kw “whole home” generator provides standby power coverage; cellular control module provides monitoring and control from anywhere with a smartphone or tablet.
- Landscape lights, scenes and zones controllable via smartphone or tablet.