When you’re starting your home buying journey, it’s exciting. You want to see it all, find the perfect space, and move right in—but some people make the process more complicated than it needs to be.
In order to make your search easier, you need house-hunting tips from the Main Line real estate professionals.
5 House-Hunting Tips You Can’t Afford to Ignore
If you know what you’re doing before you begin, you’ll save time and money on your home purchase. It’s in your best interest to let your real estate agent do all of the legwork, but ultimately, the final decision on whether to buy is yours.
- Prioritize what you want. Use our home buying wish list to figure out what’s most important to you before you even begin to search Main Line real estate listings.
- Compare the homes you see. Sometimes it’s tough to keep track of all the homes you’ve seen; they all start to blend together. Snap a picture of the address of each home you visit, and feel free to take pictures once you’re inside, as well. Use the address photos to divide the houses you see, and scribble down notes on what stands out as you’re browsing.
- Wander. Twice. Go through homes at your leisure. Now isn’t the time to rush! Make sure you’re exploring cabinets, cupboards and closets to your heart’s content. Once you’ve been through the home once, sweep through it again—and keep that notepad out in case you missed anything.
- Visit more than once, and at different times. If your first trip to the home was in the morning, make your next trip in the evening. You’re bound to discover something new each time, such as whether people are outside, the neighborhood is quiet or the area’s whole atmosphere has changed.
- Compare the listing to recently sold listings. Talk to your Realtor about whether the homes on your short list (those that you’ve set aside for a second look) are priced fairly. She’ll be able to compare them to other homes that have recently sold in the neighborhood to help you determine whether the owners are asking too much.
Ready to Talk about Your New Home in the Main Line Area?
Call us at 610-608-3119 or fill out our simple online contact form. We’d love to hear what you’re looking for, and even more, we’d love to help you find it.
Are You Ready to Buy a Home